What Causes Roof Leaks?
Roof leaks are caused by all kinds of problems. They can be caused by hail, strong winds, rains, heavy snowfalls, ice dams and more common of all, old age. In rarer cases, they may be caused by intense heat or even falling debris.
So it doesn’t matter how strong or durable your roof’s materials are. Sooner or later, it will begin to develop leaks, and when this happens, you will need to hire professionals to repair or replace the old or damaged areas. Preventing Leaks.
Although roof leaks are inevitable among old homes, there are certain things that we can do to slow down the process, and here are several examples that we can try:
- Replace or repair broken shingles.
- Install your roof’s flashing properly.
- Install your roof’s skylights properly
- Seal up your valleys thoroughly.
- Protect your roofs against ice dams.
- Try to buy the most durable roofing materials.
These counter-measures won’t make your roof completely leak-proof but they can slow down the process, and that counts for a lot.
Roof Leaks and Mold Damage
Roof leaks can do more than just damage your home, your roof and your ceiling. In many cases, they can also cause the spread and growth of mold spores. This process can happen in one of two ways.
- The first type of mold infestation is systematic growth, which occurs when there’s enough moisture to cause mold growth to cover the entire attic. In this case, the mold remediation process will be difficult and time consuming. The home owner may even need to renovate certain areas of his or her attic in order to completely remove the mold spores.
- The second type of infestation is limited growth, which usually takes place in attics that have enough ventilation to prevent condensation. This causes the mold to thrive only around the leak area, leaving the rest of the attic safe. Because of the limited nature of the problem, removing the mold spores becomes a relatively easy and simple process.
What Do You Do When Your Roof Leaks Create Molds?
When your roof leaks have reached the point that they are creating molds then you’re going to need more than just roof repairs. You will also need to hire a mold restoration expert to get rid of the mold infestation.
Whether the infestation is limited or systematic, the affected areas will have to be cleaned and the completely spores eliminated. Remember, that mold spores can spread through your HVAC system, which can then cause all sorts of health problems.
Repairing Your Leaking Roof
Before you can start thinking about removing the molds, you will first need to think about plugging up the leaks on your roof. If you need such a service then Knoxville Roofing has the solutions you need.
Our team of professionals have repaired all types of roof leaks over the years, from large gaping holes to small cracks barely visible to the naked eye. We have also repaired roof leaks which have been caused by hail, torrential rains and even falling pieces of debris. So if you need professionals to fix up your roof, give us a call and we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.
The Leaks Are Repaired and Restored? What Now?
Now, it’s time to turn your attention to the molds. For this problem, the mold restoration experts at Flawless Restoration of Powell TN have the solutions for your problem.
Their team of experts can remove and replace those mold-infected areas of your attic and ceiling caused by water damage. They can also identify areas which are vulnerable to mold spores, such moist areas and places with minimal access to light and ventilation.
When you hire them, they promise to remove all traces of mold from your property, and then they will disinfect the affected areas, so that you won’t have to worry about potential health hazards. They will also examine other parts of your home for possible signs of water damage and mold infestation. So if you have molds in your attic and on your ceiling, contact Flawless Restoration and They will take care of the problem for you.